Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Girls' Weekend 2009

July 23-26, 2009---I miss my friends so much. It's hard living in a new city where I only know a handful of people and close ties have yet to be formed. There's something special about having friends---that bond with people who share your same interests, are there anytime you need them, and love you unconditionally. That's why this weekend was so special for me. I was able to spend it with four of the most important women in my life. Time away from the husbands, kids, significant others, jobs, and our daily lives. Just us girls...

Thursday night the adventure began...Girls' Weekend 2009 in New Orleans. Now, this was not a touristy trip. This was a few days to spend time with my dear friends--Katy, Andrea, Julie, and Carrie. I didn't care where we went or what we did as long as we did it together.

Andrea drove to Carrie's house where they hopped in the minivan and drove to Oxford to pick up Julie. Then they headed further south on I-55 and picked me up around 11:00 pm. We chatted, vented, and laughed until we cried on the drive down to New Orleans. We arrived at Katy's house around 2:00 am and stayed up until 4:00 am talking, laughing, laughing so hard we were crying (this happened time and time again throughout the weekend).

Friday morning we were up and out the door before noon. I would think this is quite an accomplishment for five women. We went downtown for lunch and shopping. We popped in for a quick visit with Ashley at her floral shop--NOLA FLORA on the way. She does amazing arrangements and her shop also carries beautiful art work, gifts, jewelry, and so much more. We continued downtown and were greeted by the Mardi Gras Trees as we drove down St. Charles Avenue. Beads are thrown during the parades and become tangled in the branches. It is something you'll only see in NOLA.



After what was supposed to be a quick lunch at the Market Cafe but took almost two hours, we wandered off to do some shopping at the French Market. There are so many vendors with interesting wares. It was hot and crowded but well worth the sweatiness. It was hard but I didn't spend a dime. Some of the girl's bought some great artwork though.



I thought about buying one of the alligator heads for Jackson--REAL alligator heads. They had sizes from babies to what I might consider a small/medium size gator.



We liked this piece but not it's price tag. We thought it would be rather easy to make if you had access to tin.




It was a hot and muggy day in New Orleans (imagine that!--hahaha) and we were more than happy to pop into Margaritaville for an afternoon cocktail.






Back in River Ridge we went shopping at a cute little shoe place that had a fabulous selection of summer dresses and Volatile shoes. Have I told you how much I love Volatiles??? I have horrible foot pain due to my plantar fasciitis and these shoes ROCK!!! I would have a hundred pair if I could. They are amazing!!!! I just bought two new pair a few days before the trip. Check them out at http://www.volatileusa.com/


Jeff wanted us to meet his fiance so we met up with them (and Jeff's friend Keith) at a local pub called "The Mill" Friday night. We had fun to say the least. It's always an interesting time when we get together with Jeff.









Jeff and Jennie joined us for a midnight breakfast at Dot's Diner. The food was rather tasty, or at least my pancakes and diet coke hit the spot! Once again there was lots of chatting, stories, and laughter. You know, I really don't care where we go as long as we're together. I love these people as if they are my family!





Riley had spent the night with a friend Friday night and attended cheer camp at Rummel High Schol on Saturday morning. We were super excited to get the chance to watch Riley's performance that afternoon. She chanted, cheered, danced, stunted, and tumbled. She is a very talented young lady!










After her performance we dropped Riley off at her grandparents' house for the night. We went shopping at a two-story Target (interesting) and a fabulous shop in Kenner that looked appeared to be a country/western store but had the cutest things hidden away in the back corner---gorgeous jewelry, Volatile shoes, cute dresses, and fabulous home decor. They also offered free draft beer, pina coladas, and margaritas along with a variety of finger foods. We were in heaven!! I did purchase a fleur-de-lis piece for my mantle and a picture frame. There was such cute stuff in this store. We all decided that the word "cute" was definitely overused this weekend while shopping. What can I say? New Orleans has a lot of good shopping opportunities! I will definitely be visiting this store again!!

That night we went out for a casual dinner and drinks and then went back to Katy's to lounge by pool. Although no one actually got in the pool, we had a blast sitting on the patio laughing, talking, and catching up. These ladies are my very dear friends and words can't describe how much love and admiration I have for them. They are my GIRLS and nothing can ever change that!!


Sunday morning we rolled out of bed, packed up the van, and headed north on I-55. It was sad saying goodbye to Katy, Riley, and their house. Their house sold and they moved to Baton Rouge the following Friday. Oh, we'll still see them just as often, hopefully more often. They'll be up for a football game or two and we would like to go down to LSU to watch a college gymnastics meet. Rick also has family in Baton Rouge so I'm thinking will be visiting the area more since it is only a 2-3 hour drive now.
We all still chat through facebook, e-mail, and the occasional phone call. We'll see each other in the Grove, at birthday parties, and playdates. I LOVE MY GIRLS and am so looking forward to "Girls' Weekend 2010" in Sandestin!!! Get ready girls!!!!!
***Note: Some pictures were supplied by Carrie and Julie***

1 comment:

cjaxon said...

I had the BEST time with all of The Girls! I cannot wait for next year!!