Monday, October 15, 2007

Scott--An Amazingly, Wonderful Person



October 12, 2007----I lost my very dear, sweet friend, Scott Martinez, this week. He was a healthy 38 year old who collapsed Sunday morning (10/07) on his way to the Saints game. He was on life support until Friday, when he was removed from all of the machines and passed away. We will not know what actually happened nor the exact cause of death until the autopsy results are in. We have had an extremely emotionally draining week to say the least.

I'd known Scott for about seven years. Even though I was only able to see him a few times each year, I still considered him a close, personal, wonderful friend. He was always happy, with a smile on his face from ear to ear. His stories were soooo funny. He was also an amazing cook and a devoted Saints fan. He was a very laid back, happy-go-lucky type of guy. I feel so honored to have had him as a guest at my wedding, at my surprise 30th birthday party, yearly football get togethers, and many other random visits to the Memphis area. My family went to New Orleans last summer for Memorial Day weekend and stayed with the Scott, Katy, and Riley (which was loads of fun). Luckily, I just saw him three weeks ago. The Martinez family came in town for the Florida game. It was so great to see them. I never would have imagined that it would be the last time I would see Scott.

I met Scott's wife, Katy, over twelve years ago in college. We have had lots of good times together. She was a bridesmaid in my wedding and has always been an amazingly awesome friend. They have an adorable five year old daughter, Riley, who is the spitting image of him. Scott's brother, Jonathan, is Rick's fraternity brother and college roommate and a wonderful friend to me as well. My heart goes out to everyone in the Martinez/Sontag family for they have lost Scott--an amazingly, wonderful person.



David Scott Martinez August 08, 1969 - October 12, 2007

D. Scott Martinez passed away on Friday, October 12, 2007 at the age of 38, after a short illness. He is survived by his beloved wife Katy, his much adored daughter Riley, parents Bernard and Pamela Sontag; grandparents John and Jennie Rein; Eldean Martinez and Bernard “Wimpy” Sontag; brother Jonathan, sister-in-law Emily, niece and nephew Kyle and Taylor Ann; mother-in-law Rose Kull, and brother-in-law Ken Kull Jr. Also survived by numerous aunts, uncles and cousins. He was preceded in death by his grandparents, E.J. Martinez and Beverly Sontag. Scott graduated from Archbishop Rummel High School and Florida State University. He was Vice President of Industrial Instrument Works, Inc.

1 comment:

Souther' Mother said...

I am so sorry for your and his family's loss.

Texie